We at www.healthypetpaws.com find coupons on the Internet that save you money and products that help you maintain a healthy lifestyle for your pet.
HEALTHY DOG NUTRITION
What food is best for my dog to give them the proper nutrition and maintain great health?
- Home cooked
- Raw food
Here are some building blocks of a healthy canine diet:
1) Water—your dog should always have access to fresh water, from a clean bowl—do not limit or take away the water at night—it’s not healthy for your dog in the long term.
Water helps the body to:
- Stay hydrated
- Regulate body temperature
- Aid digestion
- Lubricate muscle tissue
- Flush away bacteria that cause urinary tract infections
- Ease constipation by moving stools along more smoothly
- Transport oxygen and nutrients throughout the body
2) Proteins—build and maintain muscles, organs, bones, blood, body tissues, hair, nails, and the immune system. Many foods contain protein, but the best sources are beef, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy products, grains, and soy.
What are signs of protein deficiency?
- Dry brittle fur
- Poor muscle development
- Growth problems
- Weakened immune system
3) Fats—are the main source of dietary energy (or calories) in a dog’s diet and provide the most concentrated source of energy in foods. They are needed for healthy skin, coat, eyes, brain, and other tissues.
Healthy fats come from sources such as:
- Chicken fat
- Lamb fat
- Sunflower oil
- Herring oil
4) Carbohydrates—along with proteins and fats, carbohydrates are one of the three major nutrients in food and a major source of energy for a dog’s body.
Dogs can’t digest uncooked grain as easily as meats, so if grains are fed, it is important to cook them to increase digestibility. Simmer rice or grains until they are soft. To add a little flavor, cook them in chicken or beef broth –Yummy!
REMEMBER—take care of your pet and you’ll have a healthy dog which will reward you with unending love and affection—not to mention that wagging tail of excitement!