As a New Yorker, you love your dog and know that he is a vital part of your family. It’s only natural that your dog would want to take part in all of the activities you get involved in – and likely, you would want him to be there with you as well. While there are plenty of parks to play fetch in New York City, you may think that choices are limited for things you and your dog can enjoy together; however, you would be surprised at just how many dog-friendly places New York City has to offer.
From dog-friendly restaurants to hiking, here are four things your dog would be dying to do with you in the Big Apple.
Go for a Swim
Most dogs love to swim and just like you, they want to escape some of the summer heat by cooling off and having some fun in the water. While there aren’t many places that encourage your canine companion to join you when you go for your next dip, there are one or two pet-friendly pools. DeWitt Clinton Park often have filled pools during warm weather. In addition, Prospect Park offers a special dog beach that pups can jump in during certain hours of the day.
Go To a Ball Game
Enjoying America’s traditional past time of watching baseball, is much more fun with your dog. Luckily for both, you and your canine, such options are always available. Both the New York Mets and Brooklyn Cyclones offer a special game where dogs are welcome.
The Mets’ “Bark in the Park” takes place on Sept. 21. Pups will get to enjoy a parade prior to the game and during will sit in special sits with their owners. A portion of the ticket sale will benefit North Shore Animal League America.
And the Brooklyn Cyclones will be hosting its own special dog day on Aug. 14. The team has partnered up with Mayor’s Alliance and will include a dog parade, adoptions and other activities.
Go on a Hike in Manhattan
I am sure you would never think hiking and Manhattan would be in the same sentence, but there is one natural park on the island – and it allows dogs. The Inwood Hill Park trail offers a two-mile hike, which takes about an hour to complete. For a moment forget you are in the bustling city and enjoy the greenery.
Dining with Your Dog
It is always tough when you go out to lunch or dinner and your dog is left languishing at home while you enjoy a good meal. Luckily for you, there are plenty of dog-friendly restaurants in NYC if you know where to look. Here are some restaurants you and your favorite companion can try.
- Williamsburg’s Eclectic Cafe Colette has something for everyone. Located at 79 Berry St, Brooklyn, this place sources ingredients locally and serves organic, hormone-free meat and eggs.
- The Barking Dog Luncheonette located at 94th street serves breakfast, lunch and dinner for your entire family as well as that canine member of your household.
- Bar Bruno is a Mexican bistro with a relaxing atmosphere for dog owners and their pups. An ideal neighborhood hangout, this restaurant can be found at the corner of Henry and Union Street in Carroll Gardens.
- Fetch located at 1649 Third Avenue this restaurant practically begs you to bring along your furry friend to enjoy a meal and even features both pictures of happy canine customers, and dogs who are looking for a forever family that you can browse while enjoying a meal.
- The Park is located at 118 10th avenue invites you and your canine companion to dine in their beautiful garden making for a great finish after a day of play with your dog in the park.
- Five Leaves allows dogs to relax outside in seating areas near the front of the restaurant. A great place for dogs to mingle with other pups, and the food doesn’t disappoint. Look for it on Bedford Avenue in Greenpoint, Brooklyn.
It is easy to see that there are plenty of activities you can do with your dog in NYC, whether it is simply going for a walk, playing in the park, swimming or enjoying a meal at a dog-friendly restaurant.